Importance of Maintenance
Post Date - Oct 5, 2023
Tire Inspection: Essential Before and After Every Haul
- Check for exposure of body ply or belt material through tread or sidewall.
- Monitor for any tread or sidewall separation.
- Ascertain if the tire is flat or has an audible leak.
- Inspect for cuts that expose ply or belt material.
Note: Tire Flat or Audible Leak violations rank among the most frequent vehicle-related DOT infractions. Over the past five years, more than 456,000 of these citations were issued. Each of these significant out-of-service violations could sideline your truck until tire repair or replacement, costing you 8 CSA BASIC points upon discovery.
The Importance of Regular DEF Filter Replacement: Annually or Every 120,000-150,000 Miles
Why is this crucial?
- Power Conservation: Engine power may diminish if a clogged filter restricts DEF flow.
- Odor Control: An overwhelmed Urea/DEF filter can impede the truck’s SCR system from neutralizing nitrogen oxide and diesel odors.
- Regeneration Maintenance: Restricted DEF flow can also hamper Diesel Particulate Filter regeneration performance.
- Fuel Efficiency: An unchanged Urea/DEF filter can limit exhaust flow, leading to increased fuel consumption due to heightened back pressure.
For peak performance, ensure Urea/DEF filters are replaced as advised.
Preventative Maintenance: The Proactive Approach
Preventative maintenance is a proactive approach to addressing potential issues before they happen. Essentially, it's about preventing breakdowns.
Why embrace preventative maintenance?
- Prolong Asset Life: Regular maintenance and inspections ensure assets attain their full lifecycle and warranties remain valid.
- Cost Efficiency: Balancing planned and unplanned maintenance with a clear inventory vision can considerably reduce costs.
- Enhance Productivity: Avoid downtimes, ensuring optimal production.
- Minimize Unexpected Downtimes: Timely repairs and insights can boost operational uptime.
How often should you engage in preventive maintenance?
- Monthly: Usage-based preventive maintenance accounts for average daily use and environmental exposure, projecting future maintenance needs.
- Manufacturer’s Guidelines: Equipment manufacturers provide guidelines for optimal care. Some of our most commonly used manufacturers include: